Thursday, October 1, 2009

Refresh

A few weeks ago, when I wandered into a tabac to buy minutes for my cell phone, the woman working the counter heard my accent and asked if I would teach her two children how to speak English. I agreed, and since then, every Wednesday at 3:30 pm., for 10 euros, I walk across the city to the same tabac and teach these girls English.

Which is silly, because, as I've come to realize, my knowledge of French grammer far greater than that of English grammer. I have absolutely no idea how to teach English, let alone explain the English language in French.

But it's nice. The girls are adorable, and every time I come, the lady gives me as much coffee as I want, and has always baked a cake for me. And 10 Euros. Did I already say that? 10 Euros and cake. For an hour every Wednesday. I would call that a win.

Besides my famille d'accueil, this lady and her daughters are some of my first French friends. And as I've been getting more comfortable conversing in French, I've developed other friendships, too, in my climbing class, and with friends of my host family. While I have really good American friends, finding friends outside the Institut is surprisingly difficult, as we are somewhat isolated from other students our age. That, and the kids in my physics class at the university are surprisingly cold. The girl who sits next to me is innocent-looking enough, but she wears a pin that says, 'Fuck You, You Fucking Fuck.' Then again, it is physics. Maybe they just haven't gotten to the chapter about 'Social Aptitude' yet.

But, a few days ago, I met a boy while climbing, who ended up walking me home (a 45 min. walk) because he wanted 'to learn to speak better English.' And last night, my host mom drove me to meet up with her godson and a group of his friends, with whom I went to a bar, and then to a discotheque-costume-soiree thingy. And that soiree? Think eurotrash meets Halloween, and then add a lot of whiskey. I left at 4am (earlier than everyone else), and yes, that 9 am class this morning felt just great.

But I have French friends! Finally.



2 comments: